Therapy Solutions in Dickinson, Killdeer, and Richardton, ND provides therapy specifically tailored to a person’s speech, voice, language, or swallowing needs. They can help decrease issues patients have with eating, drinking, swallowing, and communicating. Our therapists work hard to help patients develop strong speaking skills as well as refine volume and quality of voice.
If you or a loved one is having difficulty with their speech, quality of voice, or problems swallowing, rest assured that Therapy Solutions’s extensive therapeutic services can help provide guidance and relief. Contact our offices in Dickinson, Killdeer, or Richardton, ND today to learn more.
Types of Voice Disorders
Speech and voice disorders are more common than one might think. They can develop over time or as the result of an injury or neurological condition, and they occur when voice quality, pitch, and loudness differ or are inappropriate for an individual’s age, gender, or other factors. According to ASHA, the four types of voice disorders are organic, structural, neurogenic, and functional.
The following list details some of the most common voice disorders.
- Polyps, nodules or cysts on the vocal cords.
- Laryngeal Trauma. This occurs as a result of either the misuse/abuse of the voice or trauma to the regions of the neck.
- Congenital Dysphonia. A condition resulting from masses or lesions or structural abnormality to the vocal folds or surrounding areas.
- Spasmodic Dysphonia. This is when vocal folds are open or closed too much, affecting the vibration pattern for speaking. Patients have a strained or “squeezed” quality. It occurs when a person makes an effort to gain loudness.
- Neurogenic Dysphonia. Resulting from nerve lesions or disease to the vocal folds or surrounding areas,
- Laryngectomy. Total or partial removal of the larynx.
Signs & symptoms of voice disorders
The following list details some of the most common symptoms of voice disorders. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s best to see a Therapy Solutions speech therapist in Dickinson, Killdeer, and Richardton, ND to be properly assessed.
- Roughness or breathiness when speaking
- Strained or strangled quality of voice
- Pitch is too high/low
- Inconsistent or unsteady loudness
- Weak sounding voice, trouble raising volume
- Voice sounds “wet” when speaking
- Voice sounds raspy or hoarse when speaking
- Voice sounds shrill or shaky when speaking
- Loss of voice (aphonia)
Speech therapy at Therapy Solutions can help
Here at Therapy Solutions, our experienced speech therapists are skilled in many different areas regarding speech and voice disorders. If you’re struggling with a voice disorder, a highly trained Therapy Solutions therapist can analyze areas of posture, breath support, pitch, rate, volume, rate and resonance. They will create a customized voice retraining program specific to your condition, that will address various issues with your vocal cords and related areas.
Therapy Solutions in Dickinson, Killdeer, and Richardton, ND provides specialized therapeutic intervention, tailored to an individual’s speech, voice, or language needs. These interventions may include: advanced oral-motor treatments, neuromuscular reeducation, functional computer retraining, intensive voice programs and traditional speech therapy techniques.
Voice disorders can cause drops in self-esteem and also negatively affect a person’s confidence. Do you believe you or a loved one has a voice disorder that needs immediate attention? Rest assured, you’re in good hands in our clinic. Contact Therapy Solutions today to schedule your consultation in Dickinson, Killdeer, and Richardton, ND.